Gregory K Zieba & Associates - Real Estate Appraisers and Consultants
My Blog

Today I am sharing an article written by a colleague, Russell Roberts, MAI.

Today, I’m going to explain how losing money on commercial real estate makes perfect sense. Hear me out.
One of the primary methods used by commercial appraisers to value many types of commercial real estate is the ‘income approach’. The income approach is an attempt to quantify how much a purchaser or investor would be willing to pay for the future benefits of owning commercial real estate. Basically, these benefits consist of annual income generated by the property and also any expected profit (or loss) when the property is resold.
To clarify, these benefits consist of:
  • Annual Cash Flows (The Net Operating Income)
  • Profit Upon Resale (The Reversion)
Most often, commercial buildings are purchased with a combination of funds from an investors’ own pocket and funds borrowed from a bank or other lending institution. When the annual cost of the loan payment exceeds the annual cash flow from the property, the result is a a negative annual cash flow. I’m seeing this more and more these days for certain types of property – situations where borrowers are willing to accept a negative annual cash flow.
But how can this make sense?
Think of it this way: Those who attend college are in the exact same position. They’re willing to accept a negative annual cash flow (in the form of tuition payments) in anticipation of future income benefits (in the form of a better job). When you start seeing investors who are willing to accept a negative annual cash flow, it’s a sure sign that they are expecting property values to increase and to reward them in the end.
Why am I bullish about the commercial real estate market?
Because I’m paying very close attention.
- See more at: http://commercialappraiserky.com/when-losing-money-on-commercial-real-estate-makes-perfect-sense/#sthash.Qf0HPv92.dpuf

11 Comments to When Losing Money on Commercial Real Estate Makes Perfect Sense - See more at: http://commercialappraiserky.com/when-losing-money-on-commercial-real-estate-makes-perfect-sense:

Comments RSS
jaycee on Monday, May 21, 2018 12:54 AM
Wow wow
Reply to comment

Franklyn Jack on Thursday, May 31, 2018 5:28 AM
you have described it in a great way!
Reply to comment

kennis on Friday, June 08, 2018 10:31 AM
Spent money for real estate is the best choose, because with that you can investment. There are some house building companies who work together to restore old buildings. As a result families move to house ,seniors live secured life. facebook.com/tedbiesterbos
Reply to comment

dissertation service on Monday, June 11, 2018 1:17 AM
I really appreciate your work you doing by providing so many kinds of activities, so that everyone is getting a chance to choose that what he or she is really interested in. It makes us clear in our minds that what we really want to do in our life. It helps in achieving our goals easily. Keep sharing your writings.
Reply to comment

top celebrity jackets on Thursday, June 14, 2018 12:12 AM
Hey I am for the first time here. I came across this blog and I find It really useful & it helped me out much. I hope to give something back and aid others like you helped me. I think this is engaging and eye-opening material. Thank you so much for caring about your content and your readers..
Reply to comment

lin on Thursday, June 14, 2018 2:48 AM
nice
Reply to comment

write my paper for me on Friday, June 15, 2018 2:18 AM
The successful hiring and great chances for the more and fantastic projects outside and working with several government country. The start work and observing the chances for more skills and teamwork thoughts with us.
Reply to comment

write my essay on Friday, June 15, 2018 2:33 AM
During the exam season many sites look for research paper writers for hire. Students get busy on online research and the sites just get short of these writers. Paper writer's job is seasonal in my opinion.
Reply to comment

free custom essays online on Tuesday, June 26, 2018 12:28 AM
I genuinely welcome your method for writing an article. I spared as a most loved it to my bookmark website page list and will checking back rather than later. Share your thoughts.
Reply to comment

professional assignment writers online on Tuesday, June 26, 2018 12:29 AM
I enjoyed over read your blog post. Your blog have nice information, I got good ideas from this amazing blog. I am always searching like this type blog post. I hope I will see again. You can use this for any kind of academic writing work.
Reply to comment

assignment writing help on Tuesday, June 26, 2018 5:24 AM
Nicely done and well expressed. The post is concise in terms of its approach and has the element that attracts the reader.
Reply to comment